This year's 7th grade English summer assignment is The Witch of Blackbird Pond. (Click the button at the end for full assignment.) I am really excited about this book because it features a beautifully depicted setting with real characters that tug at your heart, challenge your mind, and satisfy your imagination as you follow their journey of finding home & family.
For your essay, you will read the entire book and then answer the following questions. Write one full paragraph (typically 5-8 sentences) for each number that answers all parts of the question. You may type your assignment, but this is not a requirement. Please be sure to include your full name on your essay.
1. What do you know about the main character, Kit Tyler? How does she change in the story? What brings about those changes? Describe at least two events Kit was involved in and how these events required her to change.
2. Think of three major events in the story. What caused the events? How did one thing lead to another? Why were the events important to the story?
3. In which time period and where did the story take place? What did you learn about the time period? Think about how the characters dressed and behaved; their schooling, jobs, traditions and daily routines.
4. There were many antagonists throughout the story. Identify three antagonists and explain what they did to try and disrupt the success of the protagonist.
5. Think about the author’s writing. What do you notice about the author’s style and technique?
The assignment will be collected on the first day of class. It will be given a grade based on completion. Did you do the assignment (read the book), sincerely answer all questions, make sure it was readable, and include your full name? Then you earned full marks.
This assignment gives me an opportunity to see what you already know as you begin the year, so feel free to do your best and show me more about you through your writing!
Looking forward to meeting each of you! Please let me know if you have any questions.